The results of the 2017 Minnesota State MATHCOUNTS Competition are posted below. Congratulations to all 135 mathletes for making the 2017 competition a great event!
Top four individuals in the 2017 State Competition:
1. David Zhang, Sartell Middle School
2. Kevin Yang, Wayzata Central Middle School
3. Jack Hlavka, St. Paul Academy and Summit School
4. Alexis Yi, Valley View Middle School (Edina)
These four won top honors from among 135 participants representing 29 schools at the 34th annual competition held March 10 & 11 at the Crowne Plaza Conference Center in Plymouth. They form the team that will represent Minnesota in the national MATHCOUNTS competition in Orlando, Florida in mid-May.
Placing fifth and sixth were:
5. Andrew Yang, Wayzata East Middle School
6. Amogh Kulkarni, Wayzata West Middle School
These two students will act as alternates should any of the top four be unable to attend the National Competition.
The winning team in the 2017 State Competition
St. Paul Academy and Summit School was the first place team. Members of that team, coached by Jenny Borovsky are: Rafael Barocas, Jack Hlavka, Alex Moore and Alek Radson.
The top ten teams at the State meet included:
2. Wayzata Central Middle School
3. Eden Prairie Central Middle School
4. Sartell Middle School
5. Valley View Middle School, Edina
6. Lake Middle School
7. Friedell Middle School, Rochester
8. Minnetonka Middle School East
9. Rochester Area Home School
10. Wayzata West Middle School